Rules of The Next Big Thing Blog Hop Chain Engagement
This is a blog chain that originates from She Writes. Each writer answers a series of interview questions and posts them on their blog or website while also linking to five other writers. Those writers then answer the questions, post and include links to five other writers and so on and so on. If you happen to fall short of five peeps, that is cool. Just run with who you have.
On to the interview…
What is the working title of your book? Following the idea of the my first book, Apprentice Cat, I decided to name book 2 Journeyman Cat.
Where did the idea come from for the book? I’d already decided that there had to be at least two more books following Apprentice Cat because who would want to leave a character at just the apprentice stage? The idea for the story came from watching my daughter play and thinking about how terrible it would be if the bad guy from book 1 decided to use children in his war against humankind. From there it was just a little research and letting the muse throw plot devices in my lap until I had an outline to use for the first draft. Thanks to NaNoWriMo, I now have that first draft sitting on a virtual shelf cooling off while I throw myself into the next project.
What genre does your book fall under? I categorize it as Christian fantasy, but it would easily fit in YA/NA. It’s not your typical Christian fantasy because there isn’t any overt references to God and there’s a lot of magic. Besides that, I can’t say I’ve ever read a Christian fantasy with a full cast of talking cats either. However, there are definite Christian themes running through both Apprentice Cat and Journeyman Cat.
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? That’s a good question. Obviously the cats would be CGI, but the humans? The only real person I actually thought about casting in a role was Patrick Stewart as Master Jalen.
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Toby, a magic-wielding cat, must choose between saving his human partner or losing his father forever as he races to capture a feline terrorist determined to enslave humans.
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? It will be self-published just like Apprentice Cat, with an audio book coming out sometime after the release of the print and ebook editions.
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? Two months — and that was a lot shorter time span than for the first book. I think I’m getting faster. 😀
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? Harry Potter, of course, and Erin Hunter’s Warrior series, but I’d say the greatest influence would be Mercedes Lackey’s Last Herald-Mage trilogy. I also patterned much of the cats interactions with humans on Joe Grey and Dulcie from the Joe Grey mysteries.
Who or what inspired you to write this book? The inspiration was a long time in coming. Book 1 was originally a short story I published on writing.com that grabbed the attention of some people who wanted to publish it in their magazine. The deal fell through, but I was left with a burning desire to tell the rest of the story. That was back in 2003, so when I finally decided to do this self-publishing thing for real, Apprentice Cat was the first fiction book I sat down and worked at. Journeyman Cat was the natural follow-up.
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? If you’ve ever caught a cat staring at you with narrowed eyes and wondered if they were secretly planning to enslave you and everyone you knew, you might want to read this book. Then again, maybe not.
Unfortunately, by the time I got around to doing this post (which is among the last regular posts, so sign up for my newsletter for sneak peeks and awesome specials), I wasn’t able to tag five other writers. They’d all been tagged about a dozen times already. 😀
- 49Maybe it seems a little early to start thinking about doing your taxes, but it's been my experience that the sooner you get on it, the less stressful it can be. Thankfully there are people and web sites out there to help us slot all those numbers in the correct…
- 48Welcome to Spirit Wednesday where we take a look at all things spiritual from meditation to prayer to cleaning the house. Yes, even house work can be a spiritual experience... if you choose to see it that way. Just as we know certain conditions can create terrific storms, such as…
- 47Coming Soon... Just two more weeks! The release of my newest novella in the Malkin series, Treasure of the Malkin, is almost here! I am so excited to share this brand new story with you that I just couldn't wait to release the book trailer. So, without further ado, here is the…
- 46It's Almost Time... I can hardly believe it's almost here: the release of my newest novella in the Malkin series, Treasure of the Malkin! I am so excited to share this brand new story with you that I just couldn't wait to reveal the cover. So, without further ado, here…
- 45I’ve been memed! The Lucky 7 Meme isn't really an award but it’s more fun than being tagged for random bits of information. Why is this better, you ask? Well…because it involves sharing seven lines of your latest work in progress, which is something I've been wanting to do for…