“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Whether it is in the face of a delighted child or the crash of thunder during a storm, God reveals himself to us. Sometimes he catches our attention in a way we cannot ignore, like when he appeared to Moses in the burning bush. Sometimes we miss seeing or hearing him entirely. Many times we eagerly race toward God only to become afraid as we begin looking around us, just as Peter did when he stepped out of the boat to meet Jesus on the water.
Although God wants us to see and hear him each time he reveals himself to us, he doesn’t stop reaching out just because we weren’t paying attention. God repeatedly revealed himself through Jesus even though those around Jesus often mistook his acts as those of someone else . The reason Jesus’ acts were attributed to the return of a prophet was most likely because God was revealing himself in a way the people of the time were not expecting, yet Peter saw him for who he was and proclaimed in Matthew 16:16, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Seeing God reveal himself in our day to day lives means being aware of our surroundings and, sometimes, expecting the unexpected.
As you read Matthew 14 22-33, 16 13-19, try to remember a time in your life in which God revealed himself to you. Then, download the Questions and Reflections and take some time to work through them before engaging in the Meditation Activities below.
Find a quiet place, preferably in nature, and take 10 to 20 minutes to contemplate what the above image means to you as it relates to the reading of Matthew 14 22-33, 16 13-19, then choose as many of the following suggestions as you would like to express your thoughts and feelings outwardly.
- In your journal, write a free-flow of thoughts and descriptive images as they come to you regarding the picture and its relationship to how God provides for you.
- Spend some time with a child. Notice their reaction to discovering something new. Think about how God might be revealing himself to you in a new way.
- Go to a park or zoo. Watch the people and animals around you and ask God to reveal himself in a special way. If you have the equipment, take some pictures. Put the pictures together in a scrapbook or collage to remind you of a time God revealed himself to you.
- Decide on your own creative way to express your feelings and thoughts regarding how God has provided for you.
For more non-fiction work, including Bible studies, check out my Non-Fiction page.
You can also purchase your eBook copy of Fear Not! Discovering God’s Promises for Our Lives for Nook, Kindle, Kobo, and on Scribd or a paperback copy from Paperback edition also available on Amazon.com or in my Lulu.com store front at: Virginia’s Store Front.
If you haven’t already, sign up for my monthly newsletter to get sneak peeks (such as first chapters before they’re published) and special prices just for fans. Just enter your email address in the sidebar and click subscribe. Sign up today and download my thank you gift Behind the Scenes: The Malkin Stories.
- 85“It shall happen… according as he has promised….” Exodus 12:25 Believing God keeps his promises is perhaps one of the most difficult things to do. We’ve often had others break their promises and been guilty of breaking them ourselves. However, God shouldn’t be measured by human standards. Whether we believe…
- 85“[God] said, ‘Certainly I will be with you.’” Exodus 3:12 Have you ever watched the latest news cast and wondered, “Where is God in all this?” Have you ever sat under the stars, feeling smaller than the smallest ant, and thought, “Is God out there somewhere?” Have you ever asked:…
- 85“Yahweh shall give you meat to eat in the evening, and in the morning bread to satisfy you.” Exodus 16 8 It is quite easy to believe God will provide for you when you have your basic needs. However, not many of us can say that we trust God to provide…
- 84“Thus says Yaweh, ‘In this you shall know that I am Yaweh.’” Exodus 7:17 We have heard and read about the miracles God has performed both in the Bible and in modern times. Most of those miracles were obvious demonstrations of God’s power. However, the power of God comes in…
- 79“Don’t be afraid.” Exodus 14 13 Everyone at some point in their lives experiences something that scares them, something that seems impossible to overcome. For one it may be the diagnosis of an illness. For another it may be a looming mountain of debt. For yet another it is the…