Maybe it seems a little early to start thinking about doing your taxes, but it’s been my experience that the sooner you get on it, the less stressful it can be. Thankfully there are people and web sites out there to help us slot all those numbers in the correct places on the correct forms and keep us from having to visit with a friendly IRS agent because we’ve gotten “creative” with the numbers. Here are 7 links to help you understand how to do your taxes:
- The IRS — this one seems rather obvious. It’s their forms, their rules, so it makes sense to check out their site for answers to our questions.
- Tax Advice for Writers by Bonnie Lee — simple to read and easy to understand with a great section on hobby-loss information
- A Fool And Her Money — depending on when you’ve started getting your tax-related material together, The Money Book may be more helpful for next year’s tax season, but it’s a resource worth investing in
- Tax Tips for Writers a guest post by Jessica Monday — more information on what can be used as a deduction including what can happen when you sell your house
- Tax Tips for Writers Freelance Income Reporting by Rachel Campbell — includes information on deductions and what forms writers need to fill out
- Tax Tips for Freelancers by Julian Block — a short, but excellent article on bad-debts that can’t be deducted
- Taxes and The Writer by Daniel Steven — information on accounting methods, types of income and forms, as well as another list of deductions
Doing taxes can be frightening and overwhelming, not to mention disappointing if you have to pay instead of getting a nice refund, but it’s unavoidable.
I’d love to hear from all of you. Besides checking with a good tax accountant, what other tips do you have for doing taxes?
Simply Prayer Advent Giveaway…
I believe prayer is an important part of life, especially during Advent and Lent. I also know that sometimes we get stuck in the details and make having a conversation with our loving Creator more difficult than it needs to be. That’s why I wrote Simply Prayer, to give you some tools to break through what’s holding you back.
With that in mind, I’m giving away a free copy of the Simply Prayer ebook during Advent (Nov. 27-Dec. 26).
To find out how to receive your free copy, check out my post, Simply Prayer Advent eBook Giveaway.